Kir like your ear, sten like pen.
Get it?
Kirsten. Say it.
Kirsten. Kirsten. Kirsten.
My entire life people have struggled with pronouncing my name. Yes, I understand that it is not spelled how it is pronounced. It should be Kiersten, but alas, it is not. SO LEARN HOW TO SAY IT CORRECTLY,
I've gotten Kersten, Kristin, Kristina (really, is there an "A" at the end of my name?), Kristine, and most recently on the phone at work-- Jason and Piercesten. What?
When people completely butcher my name, it cracks me up. I guess I just don't understand! It can't be that hard!
My junior year of high school my history teacher said my name wrong EVERYDAY. And EVERYDAY my classmates corrected him. Most the time when people mispronounce my name over and over again I just get sick of correcting them, so I just stop and let them call me whatever they want. Thus, my classmates correcting him. On the very LAST day of class he finally learned how to pronounce my name correctly. . . .
Me: "It's Kirsten!"
Teacher: "I just don't understand how I'm saying it wrong. I can't hear the difference in what I'm saying and what you're saying!"
Me: "It's Kir, like your ear. Not Ker...."
Teacher: "Ohhhhhh! Now I hear it!"
Me: ". . . . . . "
Yep. That was the absolute LAST day of class.BLOWS. MY. MIND.
This last week at work, which was also my first week back at work I had two hilarious conversations on the phone with customers. This first one is my favorite.
Customer: "And what was your name again, miss?" (Because people never catch it the first time).
Me: "Kirsten!"
Customer: ". . . Jason?"
Me: ". . . . . . Yep."
I've learned that sometimes it's just not worth it to correct people. Because they usually end up more confused than they were from the beginning!
Then a few days later this happened. . . . .
Customer: "And your name again?"
Me: "Kirsten!"
Customer: "Piercesten? How would you spell that? P-I-E-R-C-E-S-T-E-N?"
Me: "No, it's Kirsten. K-I-R-S-T-E-N."
Customer: "Ohhhhh, Kersten."
Me: ". . . . Yep."
Again. You win some, you lose some.
So, for those of you out there that still don't know how to say my name....
It's Kir like your ear, and sten like pen.
Kirsten.
Get it? Got it? Good.

No comments:
Post a Comment