Thursday, November 7, 2013

how will you remember me?


I have been concocting this blogpost in my head for a while now, but wasn't sure how to write it and if I wanted it to be a public blogpost rather than just a journal entry. But I decided to share it with you, my fellow friends, family, and stalkers.

In case you didn't know. . . . I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MY JOB. 

I work at Legacy House Assisted Living. I'm a CNA (certified nursing assistant) and a Med-tech (AKA pill-pusher). 

I have the privilege of taking care of 80 or so of the cutest elderly people the world has to offer. 
And it's pretty much amazing. Yes, it requires a lot of patience, and that's certainly something I am working on. And, yes, I am exhausted by the end of the day.

BUT, Most days going to work doesn't even feel like "work."

It's like having 80 grandmas and grandpas. And I LOVE it.

Yes, there are days when residents are grumpy, rude, and sassy, and in those cases being at work is definitely "work," but more often than not, my days at work are full of happiness and love from my residents. I walk out the door at the end of my shift feeling so fulfilled, uplifted, and happy. 

But on those days when my patience is wearing thin, I just have to remind myself of one thing. . . .

When my sweet residents leave this earthly life and return to our Heavenly Home, how will they remember me? 
Will they remember me as the impatient aide? The lazy aide? The rude aide? 
Or will they remember me as the kind aide? The loving aide? The patient aide? 

And when MY life on this earth has ended and I too have returned to our Heavenly Home, will my residents hug me and thank me for the care I provided them? 

I hope it will be a joyful reunion full of love, gratitude, and lots of hugs. 

Many of the residents have been widowed. I often wonder how thin the veil is between a resident and their deceased spouse. Is their deceased spouse gratefully looking down watching the care I am providing, or are their hearts hurting? Are they sad, or are they grateful? 

No, I am not perfect. I am FAR from it. 
Yes, there have been times when my patience has been nonexistent at work. 

BUT, whenever I am feeling run down, stressed, and impatient, I just have to think of what will *hopefully* someday be a joyful reunion in heaven with my residents and their families. . . and then everything seems a little easier. I am more patient. I am happier. I am more willing to help. 

I want to be remembered and thought of as a kind, patient, and Christ-like aide. 
But not just as an aide, I want to be remembered by everyone I come in contact with as a kind, patient, and Christ-like PERSON.
My family, my friends, the grocery store clerk, the crazy Utah drivers I deal with on a daily basis. . . everyone. 

We all are children of a loving Heavenly Father; no matter our age, we are ALL His children. 

So . . . . . how do you want to be remembered?



http://mormon.org/beliefs/plan-of-salvation




1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this! I JUST started a blog on here tonight.

    ReplyDelete