Saturday, July 13, 2013

Lots of family=lots of food.

Hey friends, family, and stalkers! 

My first week in the motherland has come to an end! It's crazy, I feel like I have been here forever. But I love it. This week has been amazing, especially today. 

Today we went to my great uncle Manu and great aunt Sashi's home for a huge luncheon with a bunch of extended family members I've never even met. Just when I had memorized the names and faces of the 15 family members we went to Lonavala with, they decided it was time to introduce me to about 30 more.  While at first it was incredibly overwhelming, I loved it and feel so blessed to have had this experience. For realsies. SO BLESSED. 

I don't even think I can put it into words to make you understand how much today meant to me. The majority (99.999999%) of the people at the luncheon today I had never even met, yet the love they had for me was amazing. To most of them, I was know as "Elisha's daughter" or "Shyam's granddaughter" (my name is a little difficult for them to pronounce), but that was just fine with me. They could have called me anything they wanted (within reason) and I would not have minded one bit, I was just grateful to meet them all and to feel the love they had for me, someone they had never met, and the love that was in that little, crowded, humid apartment. Really, it was amazing.

I wish I would have taken more candid pictures during the luncheon just of everyone there, but it didn't even cross my mind. I was just a little preoccupied with all the love (and the food being shoved on my plate and down my throat). 

It was cute and funny today when I would meet people for the first time, (especially the women), the first thing they would say was, "You look Indian!" I loved it. So funny. They all wanted to see pictures of my mom and my siblings (sorry dad, you're not Indian, but we still love you even though you sunburn). Some of my mom's aunts and uncles got so excited to see pictures of my mom, since most of them hadn't seen her since she traveled to India with my grandparents when she was two years old. It was such a wonderful experience. Here are a few of the pictures I did get from the luncheon today. . . 

P.S. I have given up on trying to be cute. My hair gets huge and my makeup melts off my face, so excuse the frumpiness and just enjoy the pictures. Kay thanks. 

This sweet lady is my great aunt Kala. She is my Grandpa's oldest sister. She is so tiny and frail, but such a saint. I loved meeting her. 




My second cousin Renu. She was so excited to hear all about my mom, since they are cousins and around the same age. 




Sweet, sweet Sashi. Another saint. So much love. 




Renu, Sashi, me, and my grandpa. 




My great uncle Manu. He had so many stories to tell! 



Mary, Renu's son (oops, can't remember his name), Renu, me, and great aunt Sashi. 



Today we also celebrated the July/August birthdays. Baby Pushba (in the green and yes, that is what she goes by since there are two Pushba's in the family and she is the younger one), Manu, Grandpa, Duru, and Ashok. I love this picture. So much happiness. 



And of course, one with me and my adorable grandpa. Plus my string cheese hair.

And now for a quick story! 
Like I said in my last post, feeding guests is huge here. Literally HUGE. I don't think I have ever eaten so much in my entire life. And I work a desk job when I'm home, so that's saying something! We are seriously ALWAYS eating. I knew that going to the luncheon was going to be a filling experience, and that it was. First they bring out rounds and rounds of "snacks." NEVER-ENDING SNACKS. And if your plate is empty after the first round of snacks, they come put more on your plate. And more. And more. I even tried to keep small amounts of food on my plate at all times and in all things and in all places, to no avail. So by the time the "snack" session was over I was already full. REALLY FULL. But no, you must keep eating so you do not offend anyone! Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE food. And I LOVE Indian food, but when you are eating it in such large quantities it sort of starts to lose its appeal. But it was time for me to sit up straight and be grateful that I wore a stretchy maxi skirt that day. #blessed

Snack time over, lunch time in process. BRACE YOURSELVES.

All of the women and the maids were bringing dish after dish of food into the room. There was no escape. And to make matters even more fattening, they had Mary and I sitting on the couch right in front of all the food. So everytime someone came to get more food and would see our plate getting a little low, the would pile something else on since all the food was right there in front of is. This is just how it is. They have good intentions, and don't want anyone to leave hungry! Mary and I were seriously struggling to get the food down as more and more  was being put on our plates. FINALLY grandpa came to our rescue. . . . . 

*cue lights*

 He sat down on the couch next to me. I knew it was the time to say something, and of course grandpa was our knight in shining sweat. I mean armor. 

So I leaned over and whispered, "Grandpa, if I have to eat one more bite of food I am seriously going to vomit." 

*cue dramatic music*

 He chuckled a little bit, raised his hand (and his voice) and said the most beautiful words I have ever heard. . . . . . . . . 

"HEY! Quit giving these girls more food! You are making them sick!! They are going to puke!" 

Such beauty in those words. Golden words. 

 It wasn't the most tactful way of going about things, but with my stomach full to the brim and a whole new plate of food in front of me, being tactful was the very last thing on my mind. VERY LAST. 

Thankfully everyone laughed a little and kept eating. Some still tried to put more on our plates, but grandpa was right there to save us. LOVE HIM. 


After the luncheon (and miraculously keeping all the food down) my grandpa, great uncle Manu, Carina, Mary and I went sight seeing and shopping around Mumbai, Calcutta, and some other city that is by "the queen's necklace." Look it up. I can't remember what it's called. 

It was so fun and since we were by the Arabian Sea there was a nice cool breeze to make the heat a little more bearable. Here are some pics, since they are much more entertaining and captivating than my mindless banter.

 
This is The Gateway to India from the Arabian Sea. Oh, and pigeons of course. 

 
Hotel Taj. . . . . Name that movie. 




I want to bring these sweet girls home with me. 

I mean really, look at that face!!! I want her. 



In a city that is relatively wealthy, there is also a lot of poverty. 
 This guy would not give up on us buying roses from him! 




Beggars are frequently knocking on your car windows when you are stopped in traffic. It's so sad. 

It's one of those things where your heart is breaking for them, and you wish you had a trunk full of food and water you could give to them. 

As sad as these pictures are, they tend to be some of my favorites. The emotions are so strong and they are something I will always remember. We have much to be grateful for. 


And now on a lighter note, here are some pictures that I took in Lonavala that I finally got to upload. Enjoy, and give your self a mouthful of curry for making it through this blog post. 


Oh you know, just feeding a literal holy cow. Normal things. 


The delicious fire grilled corn! 



And this picture wasn't from Lonavala, it was from Friday night when some of us went out! I just thought it was a good way to end. 


That's all for now! A post will be coming your way tomorrow with a not so small list of how Mary and I make fools of ourselves and look like dumb Americans. I might also add a list of things NOT to do when traveling by car through Mumbai. It will be great. And vitally important for your safety and sanity. 


Namaste! 

-Kir 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am seriously loving reading your blog posts so much!! So awesome that you're meeting family and hearing heritage-I did the same thing earlier this summer and I know the incredibly awesome feeling! You make me want to go to India all over again :) KEEP POSTING! I love reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so amazing seeing the world outside of our experience. I didn't get that incredible feeling until I was 40! lol I am so happy you have this now at a young age. Have fun, stay safe and take lots of photos!!! That is so you can remember not just the people but the feelings. hugs, Sister Czappa (Alice)

    ReplyDelete