Ummmmmm I love love love it here.
I have loved the past two days here. LOVED THEM.
Today I was assigned to the construction team. We were helping to build a sick bay and dental clinic on the campus. I kind of went into it thinking it would be boring and really hard, and while it was definitely hard, I had SO much fun!
Basically all day, we were moving bricks and cement. We had music going and were bonding with the native workers there and it was so awesome. It was mostly men working, but there were three amazing women working, too.
I basically love them. All day long they carry these (heavy) bowls on their heads that are filled with sand/cement or they carry bricks on their heads. ALL DAY. Can you say real life Jungle Book?! It's awesome.
The lady on the right, whose name has slipped my mind, noticed that I was getting blisters on my feet from my shoes, and so she insisted that I wear her flip flops. Saying no was not an option. So much love.
Then they decided to try to teach me how to carry the bowl of sand on my head.
It was hilarious. And may or may not have crushed my spine.
BUT, I walked five steps without using my hands! Woohoo.
Then they decided to put five bricks on my head. Unfortunately there is no picture of that. But I lived to tell the tale, so that's always a good sign.
These ladies thought it was the greatest thing. They all whipped out their little cell phones and would not stop taking pictures of me. It was so cute. And although they don't speak any English, I feel so connected to them and can't wait to see them again on my next construction rotation!
They were so sweet. They couldn't understand how to say my name, so they had me write it on their hands so they could sound it out. So sweet.
Here is our whole group from construction plus the Indian workers.
And with the ladies. (And I look look a bald weirdo).
And now for your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of my living quarters for the next three weeks.
Bathroom
Squatty potty. Yep.
Bucket showers!
So basically, you fill up the bucket with water, and use the small bucket to pour the water over you.
We have no hot water, but it's actually really nice. So refreshing after a long, hot day! I kind of love them.
After we were done with construction we had a little break and then play time with the kids. Play time is my favorite time or day. All the kids come running out and we just get to play with them for an hour and fifteen minutes. There are so many kids that it's very chaotic and you feel like you're getting pulled in a million directions, but it's so fun.
Today I ventured out and decided to bring my camera to get some pictures of the kids, and I'm so glad I did. They always say, "Aunty, photo, photo, photo, Aunty!" It's so cute. They LOVE getting their picture taken, but I think they love seeing the picture even more!
Here are some of my favorites from today. All the kids here are so beautiful!
Roseline!!
Love this girl.
They have a rule here that if the girls want to have long hair, they have to comb it for ten minutes a day with a lice comb, just because lice is so prevalent here. So most the little girls have short hair. I think it's adorable.
The three girls pictured above kept asking for more and more pictures and told me when I get back to the U.S. that I have to print them and send them to them. I promised them I would.
Then they decided it was time for some glamour shots. Hilariously cute. They all did the same pose.
Once one person does a pose, they all do it.
I seriously cannot get over how adorable, polite, and beautiful these children are.
I learned the hard way today that volunteers should avoid the swings at ALL costs. Otherwise you will be stuck pushing kids on the swings until your arms are jello. And beyond that. These children love the swings!
The little girl in the orange is SASSY. Yesterday I took her picture and she came up and slapped me and my camera. Well she must have had a change of heart, because today she wouldn't stop asking for more pictures. Crazy little thing.
Swings are crazy. Stay away from them.
After play time we have prayer time with the kids. You are assigned a partner (another volunteer) and a hostel of kids to teach. Each week there is a topic that we teach a lesson on to the kids. This week's topic is compassion. We always start prayer time with a song and a prayer. There are children here of all religions, but they are all very relaxed and if they see Hindu, they love Jesus, if they are Muslim, they still love Jesus. There are also lots of Christian children here. Yesterday Mary and I started prayer time by singing I Am a Child of God. It was so beautiful. Even though the key changed about every other line, it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. They were all singing so loudly with smiles on their faces. I hope they understand the meaning of that song. As we sang, I looked around the room and was overwhelmed with love for all these children. They have so little, and come from such meager circumstances, yet they all are children of a loving Heavenly Father. These children and all the people here are so willing to give so much, when they have next to nothing in the world's standards.
To say this has been a humbling experience would be a huge understatement. I can't even describe how much I love these people, these children, and this amazing program.
I am so grateful to be blessed with this experience. I never want it to end. Except I could do without the squatty potties. And the bugs. But I love it here.
If you are looking for some humanitarian project or organization to be a part of, definitely research Rising Star Outreach. It's amazing.
And remember there are lots of children here that need sponsors. If you can't afford to sponsor a child, there are other TAX DEDUCTIBLE ways you can donate as well. Look it up!
risingstaroutreach.org
Namaste!
-Kir























~I love your Blog Kirsten! I was very touched by it as I read it especially how each child sang "I am a Child of God!" They truly are very special to our Heavenly Father! Love, Rose Evans (Mary's Mom)
ReplyDelete